Closing Date: 30 September 2015
PathCare Academy is offering training programmes for Medical Laboratory Technicians commencing in 2016.
The Medical Laboratory Technician programme is a two-year programme in which suitable candidates from within and outside of PathCare are recruited to undergo training to become Qualified Medical Laboratory Technicians in Clinical Pathology or Histology. While South Africa is experiencing a shortage of qualified medical technologists, this qualification is one means to help bridge the gap. As rapid technological advances take place, the pathology industry envisages the need for more suitably qualified laboratory technicians and PathCare provides the opportunity for individuals to enter this environment.
The programme is run along similar lines to a learnership in which the students have theory and practical study in training rooms and rotations through various laboratories for practical work respectively. The subjects studied by those students wanting to become Clinical Pathology Technicians are Anatomy and Physiology, Safety in the Laboratory, Medical Ethics, Chemical Pathology, Haematology and Microbiology. Histology is also studied by those interested in qualifying as Histology Technicians. The students also undergo training in using our Laboratory Information System, Meditech. The trainers and supervisors are all qualified registered medical practitioners.
The theoretical component of the training will take place at the PathCare Academy in Cape Town. Length of time in Cape Town is approximately 8 months in total but this may vary. Students gain practical experience at various PathCare laboratories across South Africa. Successful candidates are paid an allowance and are employed on a two-year contract during their studies at the PathCare Academy. All accommodation costs, while in Cape Town and other locations, is the responsibility of the student.
On completion of the programme successful students will be eligible to apply for permanent positions at PathCare locations across the country.
The competitive selection process will include: screening of applications and academic results, written proficiency tests and panel interviews.
• Grade 12 Mathematics and Science/Biology/Life Science
Desired Competencies and Abilities:
• Read, write and speak English fluently
• Read, write and understand basic Afrikaans
• Work effectively as part of a team and independently
• Work under pressure and study rigorously
• Possess a well developed work ethic
• Willing to collect and/or process blood and body products
• Provide excellent service and be responsive to customer needs
• Work shifts and after hours as required
How to Apply?
Applications close on Wednesday 30 September 2015 at 17:00. Click HERE to download the application form. The completed application form (with documents attached) is to be hand delivered to The PathCare Academy, 1 Birmingham Street, N1 City, Goodwood, Cape Town or posted to PathCare Academy, P.O. Box 13406, N1 City, Goodwood, 7460.
All fields are to be completed. If your form is incomplete your application will not be considered
DO NOT include a CV. All information that is required at this stage should be filled in on the application form.
The following documents must accompany your application:
• Certified copy of your ID
• Certified copy of your final Grade 12 certificate (If you are currently in Grade 12 please supply a copy of your June report with results)
• Certified copy of results from any tertiary studies whether the course is complete or incomplete
• Two completed personal recommendations (Pg 7/8) one should be from your teacher/lecturer and the other from your manager/supervisor.
NOTE: applicants who have not followed all the instructions and accurately and thoroughly completed the application form, or who have not provided certified copies of all required documents will not be considered
Go HERE to view post