The University of the Witwatersrand, is looking for an Animal Attendant to join its Central Animal Services (CAS) department. This position needs a dedicated, caring person to assist with animal husbandry, animal care and restraint procedures under supervision.
• Feed and water animals;
• Observing all animals daily and reporting any sick animals or deaths;
• Cleans animal cages / pens;
• Change animal bedding;
• Clean and maintain general upkeep of animal rooms, adjoining rooms and corridors;
• Use and care for equipment;
• Give simple technical assistance.
• Perform any other tasks or activities which fall within the general functioning of the Central Animal Service as directed by the Director/Unit Supervisor.
Criteria to be addressed in covering letter
• What is your personal opinion on animal based research;
• What work- experience do you have that would qualify you for this job;
• Grade 10;
• Proficient in communicating in English;
• Able to read and write in English;
• Experience in working with animals;